Q: I want to use the internet on my phone. How do I go about it?
A: Send SMS with the word "ALL" to 232. This shall activate your line for Internet access. Just accept and save settings you receive and you are ready to browse.
Q: I have settings but its not connecting. Am I doing something wrong?
A: Your line may not be activated for data.
- Please call 100 for more information.
- Request updated settings by SMSing the word "ALL" to 232. You may also call 100 and be directed on how to apply your settings.
- You may have insufficient credit to use the service.
Q: Is my handset able to connect to the internet?
A: Kindly check your phone capabilities on www.gsmarena.com. If it is not listed, call our customer care support number 100.
Q: How can I connect my phone to the computer?
A: Most modern phones can be connected to your desktop computer or laptop to provide internet connectivity. Depending on your phone make and model, one could use Bluetooth or USB cable connections. Call 232 for more information and guidance.
Q: I am trying to connect but it's very slow/ hanging.
A: If the computer/handset is hanging, there may be a problem with the connection between the PC and the phone/modem device. Try to restart your computer to see if that resolves the problem.
From time to time, you may experience slow connectivity to the network. Kindly report such issues by calling 232.
Q: What are the manual settings for Chinese phones ?
A: Since we may not have automatic settings for your phone, kindly dial *#06# and read it to the Airtel representative so that we can upload the same in the system.
Q: How do I save the configuration settings on the handset?
A: Internet settings are normally saved automatically after you receive them from 232. Depending on the handset, you may be prompted to save, install or use the settings. Press Yes, Save or OK for each case.
Q: I keep getting error messages esp. error 619 for the Huawei modem. What gives?
A: Your settings may be incorrect. Please check and see if the following settings are active on:
- APN Type: Static
- APN: ke.celtel.com
- Username: (blank)
- Password: (blank)
Q: What are the speeds of the modems on GPRS and EDGE?
A: The speed is dependant on various factors such as voice traffic and signal strength. On GPRS, the range is from 10kbps to 30kbps. On Edge, you can experience speeds up to 230 kbps
Q: What happens if one does not use the amount?
A: If registration is done and the amount deducted, it cannot be carried forward to the next day nor can it be refunded.
Q: I am on One Network. My airtime was deducted and yet I am unable to use the service. What's happening?
A: This service is only applicable for Airtel Kenya subscribers within the country. It does not apply on one network.
Q: How do I top up the airtime credit on my phone?
A: Enter the following sequence: *122* The 14 digit code followed by #. Then press send.
Your phone will display your new credit balance after your Top Up card has been credited to your account.
Q: How do I check my credit balance?
A: Enter the following sequence: *133# then press Send. Your handset will display your current credit balance.
Q: Where does Airtel have coverage ?
A:Click here to see our coverage map.
Q: I have lost my phone and there is some credit still left in it. Can you refund me?
A: If you buy a new SIM card we will transfer your credit to the new SIM card. For more details, please contact the Customer Care team.
Q: My phone has been stolen. Can you block it ?
A: For the safety of all our customers, we need written instructions to block a number. Please avail the following documents to the nearest Airtel outlet:
Copy of a duly completed abstract form from the police with the following information; customer name, MSISDN, ID number, IMEI number, model/brand of phone, date of loss, date of reporting to the police, circumstances of loss, occurrence book reference, and police post reported at.
- A duly filled in blocking request form that is available in the Airtel shops OR write a letter requesting Airtel to block the handset.
Send the police abstract with the letter to:
Customer Care Airtel Kenya Ltd,
P.O. Box 42964, GPO 0010,
Q: I'm a new customer. What's my number?
A: Press 222 option 2 and listen to the number.
Q: I have airtime in my account but I'm not able to make calls ?
A: Contact Customer Care on 100.
Q: I want to see my call history. Can you print it for me?
A: The call history (or call log) is only available to postpaid customers.
Q: I want to change my language from English to Kiswahili ?
A: Navigate to the Airtel services menu on your SIM card and select language change and select language of choice.
Q: I have been overcharged when making a call.
A: Call charges are determined by your tariff and the destination you were calling. Kindly call Customer Care on 100 for resolution.
Q: Where did my credit go? I've not made any calls !
A: Our Customer Care can help provide call details. Contact them on 100.
Q: Why does my phone tell me that my Top Up card has already been used ?
A: This means you have already topped up your credit using this card. Dial *133# Send to confirm your credit, and buy a new Top Up card if necessary.
Q: When people call me, they can't get through. Instead they are asked to leave a message. What's going on ?
A: Voicemail is a service that operates automatically when your phone is not answered, out of reach of the signal or switched off. If your phone is not being answered for one of these reasons, Voicemail will automatically ask callers to leave a message. It is also possible that you have set up 'divert to Voicemail' on your phone. Find out more about using Voicemail.
Q: Why does my phone say 'SIM rejected' or 'Registration failed'?
A: This means the SIM card is damaged, either because someone has entered a wrong unblocking code or because the phone itself has been damaged. Always handle your SIM card with great care. If your SIM card is not working, visit one of our offices and we will replace it for you for free.
Q: When I call someone I am being told that the call is diverted.
A: The subscriber you are calling has activated the missed call alert and the subscriber is unavailable, out of coverage, busy, or has diverted calls to another number and line is equally unavailable or diverted line is short of funds.
Q: How do I deactivate voicemail ?
A: Press *#002# and ok to deactivate the service.
Q: How do I activate the" who called" service ?
A: To activate send the word on/act to 245 and receive a confirmatory sms of the same.
Q: How do I cancel the call divert ?
A: Send the word deact/off to 245 to be deactivated, for diverted calls, *#002# works.
Q: How do I put in a security code?
A: This item is handset specific. For most handsets you will go to settings>security settings>security code.
Q: What is a personal identification number (PIN)?
A: A PIN is secret code that protects your SIM card from being used if it is stolen. When you use your SIM card for the first time, the code is inactive so that you can use your phone as soon as the battery is charged. When you activate your PIN, you must enter your code each time you switch on your phone. This means that only you, or someone who knows your code, can use your phone. To activate your PIN, read the instructions in your phone's manual, or call the Airtel Customer Care.
Q: My phone says PUK. What does it mean?
A: PUK is an abbreviation for PIN Unblocking Key. Your phone will display this message if a wrong PIN number has been entered more than three times. Take your phone to any Airtel outlet and they will unblock it for you. Click here to find the list.
Q: My phone is displaying a strange language, how do I change it?
A: This is specific to the handset. If a shortcut is not available, use a similar handset to go step by step in accessing the language menu.
Q: Why don't I have a signal on my phone?
A: There are two possibilities:
- You are not in the Airtel coverage area.
Your phone is damaged. Take it back to a Airtel shop or dealer.
Q: How do I increase the memory in my phone?
A: Some phones support MicroSD cards. You can buy a memory chip if the phone supports it.
Q: What is Airtel SMS Message Centre Number?
A: Airtel's SMS Message Centre Number is: +254733000810. For detailed information on how to enter the Message Center Number, please refer to your handset's users manual or call Airtel Customer Care.
Q: My phone doesn't ring when someone calls.
A: Check on the sound settings and make sure its not on silent mode.
Q: My phone does not have a sound, doesn't ring, and can't hear the person at the other end.
A: Check on the sound settings and make sure its not on silent mode, the other person's phone could be having a problem.
Q: How do I change my PIN number?
A: Go to settings>security>change PIN. Could also be different depending on the phone.
Q: Ringing and speaking volume adjustment.
A: Adjust ringing volume under sound settings, use upward arrows to increase speaking volume.
Q: How do I deactivate T9 or dictionary when writing a message ?
A: This is specific to the phone, Go to messages>text msgs>write msg>mode>T9 or long press on # when typing the text.
Q: How do I deactivate the mute service ?
A: This is specific to the handset. For most handsets you will go to settings>sound settings>incoming call alert> ringing.
Q: How do I deactivate hidden id/caller id ?
A: This is specific to the handset. For most handsets you will go to settings>call settings>caller identity>on.
Q: How do I check my credit balance?
A: Enter the following sequence: *133# then press Send. Your handset will display your current credit balance.
Q: How do I check my profile?
A: Enter the following sequence: *123# then press Send. Your handset will display your current profile.
Q How do I enroll / subscribe to Free Twitter?
A: No Subscription is required the offer is available to all Airtel Pre-paid subscribers with data enabled phones.
Q Do I need to buy a data bundle to access the free Twitter
A: Accessing the Twitter page is free however, standard data charges will apply for viewing external links, pictures, videos and other media thus its recommended that one purchases a data bundle or have credit.
Q: Can subscriber on Blackberry access the Free Twitter?
A: Subscribers using BlackBerry handset will not be able to avail this offer.
Q How does one now that they are using free Twitter or when charges apply?
A: We have customized the Twitter app wherein, every Airtel customer who is accessing Twitter, will be able to view a message on the header and footer of the app mentioning Twitter is free of charge with Airtel. This Twitter app will pop up a message of additional data consumption charges only if a subscriber chooses to visit an external link while browsing updates on Twitter.
Back to top
Frequently Asked Questions for #AfricaAgainstEbola
Key African Union messages on Ebola
- Ebola is real
- You can Avoid getting Ebola through good hygienic practices (such as sanitizing and washing your hands) and avoiding sources of contamination,
- You can Recover from Ebola, provided the patient receives the right supportive care in the early stages,
- You can also Contribute to the fight against Ebola by donating and spreading the word
- Together we can defeat Ebola
- The African Union, the private sector, international organisations and civil society are all collaborating and coordinating efforts to respond to the epidemic
What is Ebola?
The Ebola Virus Disease is a highly contagious hemorrhagic fever, which is caused by one of five different Ebola viruses, and leads to sever illness with a high mortality rate
How is Ebola transmitted?
- Humans can be infected by other humans if they come in contact with body fluids (including but not limited to blood, diarrhoea, saliva, urine, vomit, and semen) from an infected person or contaminated objects from infected persons.
- Humans can also be exposed to the virus by handling infected animals
- The virus in the blood and body fluids can enter another person's body through broken skin or via unprotected mucous membranes in, for example, the eyes, nose, or mouth.
- The virus also can be spread through contact with objects (like needles and syringes) that have been contaminated with the virus.
- Touching the bodies of people who have died from Ebola can transmit the virus.
- Ebola can also be sexually transmitted.
What are the symptoms of Ebola?
- Fever (greater than 38.6°C or 101.5°F) and/or Severe headaches
- Muscle pain and/or Vomiting
- Diarrhoea and/or Abdominal (stomach) pain
- Unexplained hemorrhage (bleeding or bruising).
Who is most at risk?
- Health workers who treat Ebola patients without proper personal protective equipment or infection control practices
- Family members or others in close contact with infected people
- Mourners who have direct contact with the bodies of the deceased as part of burial ceremonies.
Treatment for Ebola
- There is currently no vaccine nor proven cure for Ebola although some people who have been given some experimental drugs and have recovered.
- The following basic interventions, when used early, can significantly improve the chances of survival.
- Rehydration by providing intravenous fluids and balancing electrolytes (body salts)
- Maintaining oxygen status and blood pressure
- Treating other infections if they occur
Advice on how to avoid getting Ebola
- Practice careful hygiene.
- Avoid contact with blood and body fluids.
- Do not eat animals you find dead in the wild, or handle any dead animal.
- Meat should be cooked thoroughly before eating.
- Wash your hands frequently with water and soap, especially after using the bathroom and during meal preparation.
- Do not handle items that may have come in contact with an infected person's blood or body fluids.
- Avoid funeral or burial rituals that require handling the body of someone who has died from Ebola.
- Seek medical care immediately if you develop fever, headache, muscle pain, diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach pain, or unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- If you get symptoms of Ebola, it is important to stay apart from other people and to seek medical treatment immediately.
What is the AU doing to combat Ebola?
- The African Union is spearheading continental efforts to respond to the epidemic and on-going efforts include the deployment of a joint public health military and civilian mission to affected countries.
- The mission is called the African Union Support to Ebola Outbreak in West Africa (ASEOWA) and it is supported by partners who give financial and technical backing
- The ASEOWA mission will help to save lives by being involved in the care and treatment of Ebola affected people
What can you do to support the African Union's efforts to stop Ebola?
- You can volunteer as a medical person for deployment to the affected countries under ASEOWA
- You can donate money
Where will the money donated by the public go?
- The donated funds will support the training and deployment of the URGENTLY required more than 1,000 healthcare workers to the three affected countries (Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone),
- The donated funds will also purchase much needed medical supplies and equipment,
- The donated funds will also be utilized to increase awareness on the continent and abroad, as well as to strengthen public healthcare so as to ensure that such an outbreak is never experienced on the continent
- The donated funds will go to the Africa Against Ebola Trust facility managed by the African Development Bank, with an independent board of trustees and will be audited by Deloitte on a pro bono basis
The public may track the extent of contributions on the Africa Against Ebola website
and periodic reports will be provided via mainstream and social media, as will be the final audited report
Information on the African Union's response to Ebola is available at
All You Need to Know about Shikisha Stori Na 5x
Q: How do I enroll / subscribe to Shikisha Stori Na 5x promotion
A: There is No Subscriptions, No entry Fees.
All Airtel prepaid customers except those on Club 10, Postpaid/Hybrid and DDS are automatically part of the 5X promo.
Q: How do I get my bonus airtime in the Shikisha Stori Na 5X promotion
A: All you need to is talk, chat, browse with your Airtel line and they get to enjoy the bonus upon meeting their target for the day.
Q: How long can I use my bonus airtime in the Shikisha Stori Na 5X promotion
A: Bonus airtime is valid till midnight same day.
Q: How do I check my bonus airtime balance in the Shikisha Stori Na 5X promotion
A: Dial *123*33#
Q: How do I check my target for the day in the Shikisha Stori Na 5X promotion
A: Dial *141# and get to know your target for your day, how much you have achieved, remaining bit to reach target and your balance of free minutes for the day