enjoy unrestricted talk time
and uninterrupted services
voice & text
about sms (text messages) on google chat
Gmail chat lets you easily send text messages to and from cell phones. Ifyou don't have this features, you can enable it by :
- Clicking the gear icon in the upper right, and then selecting Settings.
- Selecting the Labs tab.
- Scrolling down until you see Text Messaging
(sms) in Chat, select Enable and Save Changes. You may also enable a supplementary lab called sms in Chat gadget.
sending sms from gmail
You have to enable the sms (text messaging) in Chat lab.
You can send sms messages to your contacts' mobile phones using Gmail Chat.
To do so from Gmail :
Enter your contact's name in the 'Search or invite friends box in Chat and select Send sms from the box of options that appears on the right of your contact's name. If you already have the contact, just click Options, and select Send sms.
- In the dialog box, enter a phone number in the 'Send sms messages to this number' field.
- Click Save.
- A Chat window appears. Just type your message as you would normally. When you hit Enter, the message will be sent to the phone number you entered.
If your contact replies, the text message response will appear as a reply in Chat. These conversations are stored in your Chat history just like regular chats (but keep in mind that you can't go offline while chatting on sms).
Gmail sms to mobiles are free, you will only be charged from mobile to g mail on a basic sms tariff depending on your plan
- Replying to sms messages
When you receive an sms message from a Gmail contact, you can reply to the message as you would any other text message, and your reply appears as a Chat message in your friend's Gmail account.
block sms from gmail
- You can BLOCK any sms messages you do not want, just reply with the word 'BLOCK', to talk to the sender again, send the word 'UNBLOCK' to the phone number from which the message was sent(the sms messages sent from Gmail Chat have their own number associated with the sender's email account).
start or stop receiving sms from google chat
If you no longer wish to receive sms messages from any Gmail user, you can text 'STOP' to the system number ofyour carrier
When you text 'STOP' you will receive a message confirmation and you will no longer receive sms messages from any Gmail user
To reactivate the service, text 'START' to the system number
sms in chat commands
Here are some commands that might be useful using sms with Chat :
- HELP: Text this command to any Gmail sms number and you'll get a response reminding you of some of the basics of sms and a refresher of some of the other useful commands
- STOP: This command will block all sms messages from Gmail
- START: Re-enables you to receive sms messages from Gmail if you're currently blocking them
- BLOCK: Send to the code number fora particular contact to block messages from that specific person
- UNBLOCK: Allows a blocked contact to send you sms messages in the future
abuse prevention with sms
- If you send too many messages from web to mobile, without mobile responding, the web user will get blocked.
- To prevent abuse, any Gmail user who sends an excessive number of sms messages from Gmail, without getting any responses in return, will be blocked from sending further sms messages.
- Receiving sms from Gmail
Gmail users can send sms messages to their contacts through Gmail Chat. To write back, reply to the message as you would any other text message and your message appears as a Chat message in your friend's Gmail account.
If you don't have a Gmail account, you can create an account at http://mail.google.com/mail/signup